Join 1,000 others
on the largest
student hitch-hike
across Europe.

Read from the beginning

Read from the beginning
Posts are listed in reverse order, so
click here to go straight to the first post and start reading.

01 December 2010

Er... Oops

Whilst faffing with stuff instead of scribbling endlessly in my lab book like I really should be (I don’t think “Ah, go on, it’s Christmas” will go very far if I end up confronted with an overdue deadline and a professor that won’t accept late assignments) I stumbled upon a file buried deep within the jungle that my laptop’s “Documents” folder has become. Secreted away, a word document I typed up over a month ago before closing down my laptop and leaving my halls in a hurry to attend a lecture.

In order to both convey how I felt when I rediscovered the document and also to mourn this week's passing of a great legend, I have included this video:


“Bollocks!” I loudly exclaimed, but was drowned out by the even louder incessant swearing of some passing scousers. What I had found was a post I had typed up, detailing the charity that I am fundraising for. An entry I thought I’d posted into this website long ago, but never did. No wonder people keep thinking I’m collecting money to pay for a free holiday for myself. Let me assure you that not a single penny of this revenue will go into my pocket. All sponsorship I receive goes entirely to a charity called Link Community Development and any money I spend along the way, I must pay from my own dwindling bank account.

Founded over two decades ago, Link Community Development works with governments and local authorities in Sub Saharan Africa to improve schools and education. Many charities build schools in Africa, but LCD stick with them to make sure that they stay open, staffed and up-to-date. Some people do it the boring way, but unlike your promiscuous mother, LCD prefer to do it the extreme way. They send hordes of fresh-faced students from across the country on a sponsored, trans-continental hitch.

If all goes well...

These valued contributions help to improve access to schooling for the whole community, improve the education systems, education delivery and performance of schools to give the children of the region a far better start in life and their countries a far better future.

So please give generously using the links in the side bar, or better yet, click here and register to do Hitch yourself this spring. Ah, go on. It’s Christmas. I doubt you’ll regret it.

No comments: