Join 1,000 others
on the largest
student hitch-hike
across Europe.

Read from the beginning

Read from the beginning
Posts are listed in reverse order, so
click here to go straight to the first post and start reading.

06 September 2010

Preamble

I first heard of Hitch a few years ago, when I accidentally picked some up at the end of the M275 into Portsmouth where they’d been dumped by someone who couldn’t be bothered to take them the extra 10 minutes further to the ferry port. After initially thinking it was the coolest, most ridiculous thing I’d heard of since I’d discovered Japanese game shows, I put it out of my mind. That is, until last Easter, photos of someone I knew in college doing the 2010 Hitch started to appear on my Facebook news feed. So, credit where credit is due, even though I don’t speak to her anymore and probably won’t even bother to tell her about this blog: Katie Friday, thank you for reminding me.

So there I was, awake ready for 9am to register for Hitch. Unfortunately, I miscalculated. The average student doesn’t wake up this early so switching myself to festival-ticket-buying mode and refreshing the page as if it was rage factor all over again may have been just a touch overzealous. After pestering them, a delightfully polite young woman, whom undoubtedly thought I was a freak, called me at 10:30 to let me know the registration had now opened. Sue me, I just really wanted that free Rough Guide and I can’t help but get excited even though I’m probably the only person in the country who’ll bother to register today at all.

So it’s done, and now I’m free to spend the rest of the day pretending to be a fresher to receive free stuff at the UCLan fresher’s fair or watching downloaded episodes of Castle or something.

No comments: